Veterans ERG (VERG)
The purpose of the VERG is to enhance the work environment at Berkeley Lab for veteran employees and job seekers. Our goal is to promote an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere, identify and address emerging issues or challenges such as veteran recruitment and retention, increase the visibility and value of veterans’ skills in the workplace among management and staff, provide guidance for institutional processes and programs, enhance policies of non-discrimination, and recognize achievements impacting our community. The group is open to all employees, including veterans and civilians. VERG is currently working on a self-identification campaign for veterans at the Lab.
- Enhance external outreach and recruitment efforts for veterans
- Attend HR/VERG Recruitment Summit
- Create publicly available Veteran-centered webpage
- Arrange general interest military speaker for Veteran’s Day
- Promote Veteran’s Self Identification via Employee Self Service
- Studied best practices and sought applicable methods to improve veteran recruitment and retention programs.
- Recruited for Lab HR Ambassador Program at Vets-in-Tech event resulting in a job offer and hire of a veteran.
- Addressed veteran students group at Berkeley City College leading to a successful intern recruitment.
- Developed Berkeley Lab session proposal for Student Veterans of America 2020 National Conference.
In her 21 years in the United States Army, Ann Stroud learned about time management, discipline, and most of all, teamwork. Read how she brings teamwork to scientific procurement, working with researchers to find the right suppliers while protecting the interests of the Lab. Learn more about Ann's experience.