Lambda Alliance ERG
The purpose of the Lambda Alliance ERG is to enhance the work environment at Berkeley Lab for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, and gender-nonconforming (LGBTQ+) employees and allies. Our goal is to promote an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere, enhance policies of non-discrimination, create guidance for institutional processes, identify and address emerging issues or challenges, increase visibility and awareness, and recognize achievements impacting our community.
The group is open to all employees, including LGBTQ and allies.
The Lambda Alliance ERG helped create the Lab’s first Workplace Gender Transition Guidelines.
- Coffee and happy hours
- Pride Month
- Brown bag workshops
- Updating Gender Transition Guidelines
- Worked with Creative Services to add personal pronouns to business cards. Created an overview flyer on personal pronouns to be included in onboarding materials and launched initiative to encourage staff to add personal pronouns to their email signature.
- Pride month activities in included 10 on-site lab events such as movie and TED talk screenings, a Pride-themed joint Coffee Hour co-hosted with All-Access ERG and flag raising/flag lowering ceremonies with a proclamation from Director Witherell. The month concluded with almost 100 participants at the San Francisco Pride Parade.
- Welcomed Mary Maxon as the new Lambda Executive Sponsor, recognized Jay Keasling as Founding Executive Sponsor and held an event celebrating Jay's service
- Co-sponsored a gender identity workshop with the DEI Office.
- Met with HR and Title IX Office to discuss compliance with SB 179 (adds a third gender option for state documents)
Accountability, the “A” in IDEA, is something everyone can help create and promote at Berkeley Lab. In this Q&A, Daniel Gens discusses what accountability means to him, incorporating accountability into the work environment, and his personal commitment to making IDEA part of the culture at the Lab. Read more>>